TorGuard
Spark

Do Not Blindly Trust The Killswitch

Rate this question

Question

Spark

I have been using the client software in Windows 10 for months now and have tried different software versions.  I have always found the connection to the VPN servers to be unstable.  This is why I enabled the killswitch so that torrent software would not be allowed to access my unprotected ISP network.

Thursday night I was using the software and I was downloading a file that was going to take longer than I was willing to stay up to monitor.  So I left it going overnight.  In the morning I had an email from a movie company warning me to cease and desist.  I checked my network connection and the client software was nowhere to be found and my torrent software was still running!

My first thoughts were "WTF!  This is EXACTLY what this software is intended to prevent!".  I just want to warn everyone to not blindly trust this software until it has been proven to work more flawlessly than it currently does.

I have updated to the latest version of the software, but will be taking additional measures to prevent this from happening again.  However, I am disappointed that this is required.

Edit:  I can't seem to reply to this thread anymore.

My problem wasn't with the disconnection.  My problem is that the killswitch feature SHOULD have disabled my network interfaces and not allowed further internet activity.  In the morning, when I  checked, there was no sign of the VPN software and my normal interface was up and traffic was continuing through my normal ISP.

I have since switched to Vuze which can be set to bind to an interface and have set it to only allow traffic through the vpn tunnel interface to prevent this in the future.  Because I have taken this measure, I have disabled the Killswitch as it is no longer required.

Edited by Spark
Response to Admin reply

1 answer to this question

Support
17 hours ago, Spark said:

I have been using the client software in Windows 10 for months now and have tried different software versions.  I have always found the connection to the VPN servers to be unstable.  This is why I enabled the killswitch so that torrent software would not be allowed to access my unprotected ISP network.

Thursday night I was using the software and I was downloading a file that was going to take longer than I was willing to stay up to monitor.  So I left it going overnight.  In the morning I had an email from a movie company warning me to cease and desist.  I checked my network connection and the client software was nowhere to be found and my torrent software was still running!

My first thoughts were "WTF!  This is EXACTLY what this software is intended to prevent!".  I just want to warn everyone to not blindly trust this software until it has been proven to work more flawlessly than it currently does.

I have updated to the latest version of the software, but will be taking additional measures to prevent this from happening again.  However, I am disappointed that this is required.

Hi,

There are numerous reasons on why you could disconnect, too many to list, it doesn't mean there's an issue with the software or the VPN servers as 99% of the time this is a client side problem, it sounds like you could have a flaky connection that normally we find is only noticed when using a VPN, or it could be AV or firewall software (which is also quite common),  it could be that you where using an older version of TorGuard (since you said you updated) - the latets builds of TG will not leak in between killing and reactivating apps or interfaces.

I would advise that you use a torrent client that can bind to the VPN interface so that it will only download while VPN is active.

Regards