TorGuard

Email after resume from suspend

Rate this question

kimfoltz

Question

I am running Torguard on OpenSuse 42.2 with KDE. I am having trouble with the outgoing SMTP email connection using port 465 after resume from suspend. Email is configured with IMAP on incoming mail. The email client works cleanly after a reboot. After resume from suspend it won't connect to SMTP.  I get an error message saying "An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: eastrmimpo209.cox.net cox connection refused from 173.254.254.114". The message comes before authentication so I suspect an authentication problem.

I have tried 3 email clients, SeaMonkey, Trojita and Zimbra Desktop and they all produce the same error.

Can anyone suggest a way to debug the problem?

2 answers to this question

Maybe Torguard times out after you resume from suspend? 

In any case try

1) installing wireguard from your repo,

2) load a custom config generated by Torguard's config generator,

3) make sure connection works 

And as long as your connection is alive the wg0 connection will stay under the same parameters. Even VPN IP address is static. 

Just a simple wg-quick up wg0 will do the trick. 

On 11/29/2017 at 5:42 PM, kimfoltz said:

I am running Torguard on OpenSuse 42.2 with KDE. I am having trouble with the outgoing SMTP email connection using port 465 after resume from suspend. Email is configured with IMAP on incoming mail. The email client works cleanly after a reboot. After resume from suspend it won't connect to SMTP.  I get an error message saying "An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: eastrmimpo209.cox.net cox connection refused from 173.254.254.114". The message comes before authentication so I suspect an authentication problem.

I have tried 3 email clients, SeaMonkey, Trojita and Zimbra Desktop and they all produce the same error.

Can anyone suggest a way to debug the problem?

WIreguard is connectionless protocol, as TorGuard uses wireguard, I would assume that it does not matter which client you use, but with original client you would be online after sleep, suspend, hibernation. Check your peers and handshake, within a minute your client should try a handshake, after that point you should be connected, just wait 1-2 minutes after your pc is up.

Some time ago, when if disconnected for 10 minutes or less, then config's ip got invalid, which meant if you suspended your pc for longer than 10 minutes, then you would need to reconnect manually. Currently it is I guess 24 hours, meaning if you suspend it for over 24 hours, you need to either update your config via api or create a new one.

This thread is from 2017, so I guess your problem was resolved long time ago.