TorGuard

Dual Router - Wired Connection Help?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, first let me explain my current setup then what I would like to accomplish, maybe someone that has done this before can help me figure this out? I appreciate any help I can get. I just bought an ASUS RT-AC68U router – the router is fantastic and I love everything about it, getting blazing fast speedtest results over wireless. I have approximately 20 wireless devices in the home (we are a family of 8) that are all heavy internet users. My current problem is this, I connect to my router based OpenVPN configuration and use it and when I’m done I switch back to the regular ISP connection for the high bandwidth. However my router has to be rebooted when I switch back, this kicks everyone off the network and creates a lot of unhappy family members. Ideally I would like to purchase an ASUS RT-N66U to handle just my OpenVPN traffic while leaving the RT-AC68U connected normally, best of both worlds. This way I could direct my streaming media boxes through the VPN and not affect my bandwidth speeds for all the other devices in the home. I want to do this with a wired connection using the RT-AC68U as the first router connected to my cable modem. Would I just run an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AC68U to the WAN port of the N66U and change the IP of the N66U to 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.1 is the AC68U). Then configure the N66U with OpenVPN. Or do I need to setup the main router (AC68U) as a bridge first? I have the basic concept in my head just not sure of a few specifics… if anyone that has something like this running could give me some insight I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your help! Oh, one last thing… which would work best? DD-WRT or Tomato on the RT-N66U?

Hey there

You got the right idea - just assign both routers different I's i.e. 192.168.1.1 for DD-WRT, 192.168.1.2 for N66U, on AC68U set IP of N66U in DMZ.

Set the LAN IP on N66U on a different range 192.168.5.1, set N66U to assign DHCP in this range 192.168.5.100 - 192.168.5.150

Now i think we connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the AC68U to the WAN port on your N66U.

Let me know if this works.

Regards