TorGuard

Pulic trackers dont like Canadian VPN pool

Rate this topic

PeterR

When using the Canadian VPN pool, a number of commonly used public trackers block them. There are times when I need to use the NL pool just to get any peers on some torrents.

Just curious if you guys are aware, and/or have ever addressed this issue. If you need specific examples just use any torrent from rarbg.com while going through any Canadian VPN gateway. Then connect through any NL VPN gateway and see the difference.

Hello Peter

I haven't came across the problem yet but i will surely test it out here and see if theres anything we can do.

Thanks for pointing out.

Regards

EXAMPLE:

The following image shows the tracker window on the following torrent, using CA vs NL VPN servers.

This Torrent URL

A99zQk7Q.gif

Note: for me at least, this is NOT a new issue. While I am currently using a DD-WRT OpenVPN router, the issue has always been there even when only using a socks5 proxy or Windows VPN connection.

The issue is easily repeatable and demonstrated. If you would like more examples, simply give me a number... the three trackers listed above are only the tip of iceberg.

As I said before, pick most any torrent on rarbg... or tpb for that matter...

Frankly I am surprised no one has noticed this before and reported it.

Hi Peter/Judson

We are looking into this matter with the DC, we have seen it before.

Will update this thread when we have some news.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there - we are still investigating with the DC, i will personally update the thread as soon as we hear back from them and solve the issue.

Would you guys having these issues care to test a couple of IP for us ?

Regards

• 3 months later...
Support

Hello Peter

We sent openbittorrent a message regarding this but they have yet to reply - seems most providers with CA servers are affected.

I may have some IP's to test though still if you would be kind enough to test on your end.

Regards

Anything I can do to help...

btw: My guess would be the admins on those boxes were, at one time at least, fighting some DDoS attacks (or something else) from the same class C range(s) of IP addresses and instead of playing whack-a-mole one IP at a time, they just blocked the whole /24 range. Since these are shared gateways, getting multiple hits from thousands of different ports could be construed as suspect behavior and trip a blocking rule. Probably and old rule long forgotten about.

Problem is, even if all that is true, it doesn't really help us fix it. It might be worth sharing this with your ISP and ask if you could test some IPs on alternate subnets... or is that what you were up to? -;)

You know, it occurs to me, there is another way to solve this...

From the CA servers, setup static routes to bounce those IP addresses off a different set of servers in the UK, US etc... No actual bitTorrent traffic, just the trackers.

The traffic would be minimal, as the trackers are only hit every 10 or 15 minutes and even then the traffic small.

There is also a wonderful upside to doing this. It would drive the copyright trolls bat shit crazy cause the trackers would report all the IP address of the gateways it was routed through, but with no torrent traffic on them, EVER! Should keep those guys trying to figure it our for years... (insert mad scientist laugh here)

Support

Hehe - well just as i caught your message I'm pretty much attempting something down those lines, one i get a minute i will test it - btw Peter, can you drop an email at sysadmin ( at ) torguard.net - we can pickup from there.

Cheers