TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
swuzy

Is it possible to configure exception to Torguard to let certain apps (Netflix) bypass TG vpn, while otherwise using TG vpn?

Rate this question

Question

swuzy

I have heard some others (PIA) is able to have an exceptions setting for various programs, to allow them to bypass the vpn.  

For example, I am in the US, and would like to access Netflix without having to exit TorGuard, because I will be multitasking and running other programs and applications at the same time.

I would like to be able to enable such an exceptions settings without having to pay extra.  

I am not a technical / geek and would easily get lost as to opening additional ports, etc., but I suppose if that is the way I may have to give that a try. 

If there is not an easy way, I hope that TG software designers will consider implementing such a feature in a relatively easy to use manner.

Thanks very much.

5 answers to this question

TorGuard

I have heard some others (PIA) is able to have an exceptions setting for various programs, to allow them to bypass the vpn.  

For example, I am in the US, and would like to access Netflix without having to exit TorGuard, because I will be multitasking and running other programs and applications at the same time.

I would like to be able to enable such an exceptions settings without having to pay extra.  

I am not a technical / geek and would easily get lost as to opening additional ports, etc., but I suppose if that is the way I may have to give that a try. 

If there is not an easy way, I hope that TG software designers will consider implementing such a feature in a relatively easy to use manner.

Thanks very much.

Hello swuzy, welcome to the forums mate.

You will have to add routing rules either to your .opvn configs, or manually through command line. The first thing you need to do is open up the .opvn config of the server location you wish to use (On windows it's "%localappdata%\VPNetworkLLC\TorGuard\configs" if on another OS, let me know and I'll help you find the config directory).

Put the following at the top of server opvn config:

allow-pull-fqdn # Allow client to pull DNS names from server (rather than being limited to IP address)
# route destination netmask gatewayy
route netflix.com 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
route whatismyip.com 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
route torguard.net 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
# https://torguard.net/whats-my-ip.php

You'll have to look up all the ip ranges that netflix uses for this to work fully, since the above route will only add one IP address upon first connecting to the VPN.

You may wish to consider using VirtualBox, and put the VM network in bridge mode, then you can still be connected to TorGuard VPN, while you watch netflix in the VM with your real IP address.

SpudHead
On 6/2/2017 at 4:20 AM, TorGuard said:

Hello swuzy, welcome to the forums mate.

You will have to add routing rules either to your .opvn configs, or manually through command line. The first thing you need to do is open up the .opvn config of the server location you wish to use (On windows it's "%localappdata%\VPNetworkLLC\TorGuard\configs" if on another OS, let me know and I'll help you find the config directory).

Put the following at the top of server opvn config:

allow-pull-fqdn # Allow client to pull DNS names from server (rather than being limited to IP address)
# route destination netmask gatewayy
route netflix.com 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
route whatismyip.com 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
route torguard.net 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1
# https://torguard.net/whats-my-ip.php

You'll have to look up all the ip ranges that netflix uses for this to work fully, since the above route will only add one IP address upon first connecting to the VPN.

You may wish to consider using VirtualBox, and put the VM network in bridge mode, then you can still be connected to TorGuard VPN, while you watch netflix in the VM with your real IP address.

SpudHead

I would like to be able to do this too, but your reply was quite vague.

Where in this edit and in what format do we add the IP range for Netflix?

Also, is 192.168.0.1 supposed to be the local address for the PC on which we want to watch netflix? In which case I assume we are supposed to change it if its different.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:20 PM, SpudHead said:

I would like to be able to do this too, but your reply was quite vague.

Where in this edit and in what format do we add the IP range for Netflix?

Also, is 192.168.0.1 supposed to be the local address for the PC on which we want to watch netflix? In which case I assume we are supposed to change it if its different.

Did you get an PM response on this, per chance?