TorGuard
user6011024

Why do options mention the "tray"? There is no "tray" on a Mac.

Rate this question

Question

user6011024

I'm a new user and I must say I'm a little disappointed with the Mac version of the TG client software.

Within the Mac version of the client software, I see several checkboxes that mention the "tray"...

- Minimize to tray on connect

- Minimize to tray

- Close to tray

Seriously?   :huh:  There is no such thing as a "tray" in the MacOS!  Maybe somebody can explain what these options are supposed to do here.   

Screen_Shot_2017_05_21_at_1_11_01_PM_2.p

13 answers to this question

Support

Hello,

Well the tray would refer to your menu bar of course, its similar to what you call a system tray in windows - imho its the same thing yes?

The options are fairly straightforward - they do exactly as they say.

"Minimize to tray on connect" - Minimize to your "menu bar" on connect (connecting to vpn).

"Close to tray" - Clicking the cross to close the app normally will minimise to "Menu Bar".

"Minimize to tray" - Clicking Minimize will minimize to the "Menu Bar".

Regards

user6011024

Well the tray would refer to your menu bar of course, its similar to what you call a system tray in windows - imho its the same thing yes?

It's not the same thing, of course. On the Mac, there is no such thing as a "system tray" or "tray". You should take care to use terminology in your GUI that users would commonly understand. Mac users have a "menu-bar" and a "Dock". Mac users do not have a "system tray" and would not normally know anything about that.

The options are fairly straightforward - they do exactly as they say.

Not "exactly". See below.

"Minimize to tray on connect" - Minimize to your "menu bar" on connect (connecting to vpn).

When this option is enabled: Clicking "connect" button connects to the VPN and "hides" the TorGuard window.

When this option is disabled: Clicking "connect" button connects to the VPN and continues to show the TorGuard window. Even though the VPN is connected the window shows that the VPN is not connected! This is a serious GUI bug.

"Close to tray" - Clicking the cross to close the app normally will minimise to "Menu Bar".

This works, but it's not minimizing to anything let alone a "tray". It's merely hiding the TG window. You should use "show" and "hide" terminology like you do within your menu option.

"Minimize to tray" - Clicking Minimize will minimize to the "Menu Bar".

This option does absolutely nothing on the Mac. Whether or not this option is selected, the behavior is exactly the same in both cases. Clicking the yellow "minimize" button sends the TG window down into the Dock.

I'm just really disappointed in the Mac version of the client and I think it needs some work.

Support

It's not the same thing, of course. On the Mac, there is no such thing as a "system tray" or "tray". You should take care to use terminology in your GUI that users would commonly understand. Mac users have a "menu-bar" and a "Dock". Mac users do not have a "system tray" and would not normally know anything about that.

Not "exactly". See below.

When this option is enabled: Clicking "connect" button connects to the VPN and "hides" the TorGuard window.

When this option is disabled: Clicking "connect" button connects to the VPN and continues to show the TorGuard window. Even though the VPN is connected the window shows that the VPN is not connected! This is a serious GUI bug.

This works, but it's not minimizing to anything let alone a "tray". It's merely hiding the TG window. You should use "show" and "hide" terminology like you do within your menu option.

This option does absolutely nothing on the Mac. Whether or not this option is selected, the behavior is exactly the same in both cases. Clicking the yellow "minimize" button sends the TG window down into the Dock.

I'm just really disappointed in the Mac version of the client and I think it needs some work.

Hello, just to let you know that these will mostly be fixed in the next version.

Regards

user6011024

Hello, just to let you know that these will mostly be fixed in the next version.

In my ticket, somebody mentioned the new version would be released "next week", which was actually last week. Any idea when this new version is coming?

Another GUI pet-peeve for Mac OS...

The first menu item says "show/hide" for toggling the TG window. It would be better if it only said "show" when the window is hidden, and only said "hide" when the window is shown. As it works now, the window is buried someplace on the desktop and thanks to the lack of feedback on this menu, I'm not really sure if it's even being shown... I literally have to close all other windows before using the "show/hide" option. Even then, when you're using multiple desktops, it's not that easy to locate.

Seriously, did anyone there test the Mac version before releasing it?

Support

In my ticket, somebody mentioned the new version would be released "next week", which was actually last week. Any idea when this new version is coming?

Another GUI pet-peeve for Mac OS...

The first menu item says "show/hide" for toggling the TG window. It would be better if it only said "show" when the window is hidden, and only said "hide" when the window is shown. As it works now, the window is buried someplace on the desktop and thanks to the lack of feedback on this menu, I'm not really sure if it's even being shown... I literally have to close all other windows before using the "show/hide" option. Even then, when you're using multiple desktops, it's not that easy to locate.

Seriously, did anyone there test the Mac version before releasing it?

Very soon, these things can take time, we are working on quite a few apps now and so it's took a little longer than usual.

As per your main desk ticket - yes we do test the apps, the only issue we see is the app will not take focus, this will change on the next release.

user6011024

... the only issue we see is the app will not take focus, this will change on the next release.

YES! Simply changing the "show/hide" text to something more dynamic like "show" and "hide", and automatically bringing the window to the front would be a 1000% improvement. Thank you!

user6011024

Very soon, these things can take time, we are working on quite a few apps now and so it's took a little longer than usual.

Okay, I understand, but Andy in the support ticket said "hopefully next week" and that was back on June 1st... nearly two months ago!

Any status update?  Thanks.

Support

Actually there is a release coming out tomorrow, this was just confirmed that if tests go well tonight, the client will be pushed to production tomorrow.

Regards

muh

Hey, 

I also think this is really annoying. I still have permanent Dock presence of Tor Guard. If every app would do that, I would have the largest Dock in the universe... 

When will this be fixed?

Using Mac Sierra.

• Like 1

user6011024

Hey, 

I also think this is really annoying. I still have permanent Dock presence of Tor Guard. If every app would do that, I would have the largest Dock in the universe... 

When will this be fixed?

Using Mac Sierra.

"Hopefully next week" turned into two months, so maybe now when they say "tomorrow", it will only mean another couple of weeks.   :P

user6011024

Actually there is a release coming out tomorrow

And "tomorrow" was more than a week ago.  This is getting quite comical.    :lol:  

Support

And "tomorrow" was more than a week ago.  This is getting quite comical.    :lol:  

Hi - theres no point in opening tickets, starting threads on forums and sending us emails all at the same time, it won’t really help, our software won't be released until we think its ready - problems can popup and delay releases - these things can happen.

As you know this is already released.

Regards

user6011024

theres no point in opening tickets, starting threads on forums and sending us emails all at the same time...

Please do not exaggerate.  For the record, I never sent any emails, for any issues, at any time.  And I only opened a support ticket after waiting NINE days for a response to this thread.  As you're fully aware, my ticket was titled: "Support Forums Dead?"

...our software won't be released until we think its ready - problems can popup and delay releases - these things can happen.

I understand things happen and totally appreciate that you want to make sure it's working before being released. I only complained when somebody said it would be released "next week", and it turned out to be two months later.  I'm a paying customer after all, so I would just like some reasonable and realistic ETA.  If you say "next week" and it's a couple weeks, that still seems reasonable.  If you say "next week" and it ends up being two months... that seems unreasonable to the average person.

As you know this is already released.

Yes, it was finally released a couple days after my last reply here.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts; and I sincerely appreciate the quality of support received in the ticket system.