TorGuard
user6011024

Persistent Dock icon is annoying

Rate this question

Question

user6011024

Why is the TorGuard icon shown as an active application in the dock while the software is simply running in the background?  Most Mac software that is primarily running in the background and/or accessible via the Menu Bar never shows anything in the Dock, or has a setting to show/hide the Dock icon.

See this article for more details:

https://www.cnet.com/news/prevent-an-applications-dock-icons-from-showing-in-os-x/

The OS X Dock offers a quick and convenient way to launch programs and manage ones that are currently open; however, there are times when a program you are using doesn't have any purpose in being presented in the Dock. For example, Dropbox is managed solely in the menu bar, so having a Dock icon will add no benefit and will only clutter the Dock.

12 answers to this question

Support

Why is the TorGuard icon shown as an active application in the dock while the software is simply running in the background?  Most Mac software that is primarily running in the background and/or accessible via the Menu Bar never shows anything in the Dock, or has a setting to show/hide the Dock icon.

See this article for more details:

https://www.cnet.com/news/prevent-an-applications-dock-icons-from-showing-in-os-x/

Hello - thanks, we already have this on our to do list, i will check and see if we can add this to our next release.

Regards

user6011024

Hello - thanks, we already have this on our to do list, i will check and see if we can add this to our next release.

Regards

Thank you. This would be great!

muh

Is there any news on this? 

• Like 1

user6011024

Installed the new release today.   I was happy to see that the reconnect issues were fixed.  However, very disappointed that the Dock icon is still showing the in the Dock despite rebooting and having the option checked... there it sits in the Dock.    :angry:

Support

Installed the new release today.   I was happy to see that the reconnect issues were fixed.  However, very disappointed that the Dock icon is still showing the in the Dock despite rebooting and having the option checked... there it sits in the Dock.    :angry:

Hi, do you currently have a ticket open by chance ? if so we are awaiting a team viewer to have a look at this for you, it may just need a clean reinstall - we haven’t had any other complaints yet of this issue.

Regards

user6011024

Hi, do you currently have a ticket open by chance ? if so we are awaiting a team viewer to have a look at this for you, it may just need a clean reinstall - we haven’t had any other complaints yet of this issue.

Regards

Yes.  Have ticket open and trying to coordinate a time with your agent to look at this.  Otherwise, I would be happy to try a clean install myself if you would kindly provide instructions.

Support
Can you try and remove the below folder.

/users/user/Library/Application Support/VPNetworkLLC

Reinstall the TG Client latest version and retest ?

Regards

user6011024

Can you try and remove the below folder.

/users/user/Library/Application Support/VPNetworkLLC

Reinstall the TG Client latest version and retest ?

Regards

No good!  This is getting very frustrating.  I've removed everything as per published procedures.  I've rebooted after removing everything.  I've done several clean installs.  Nothing works... the TG icon is still appearing in the Dock despite this new preference being checked.

In a few days, I'll have access to another Mac and we'll see how that one goes.  Meanwhile, I'm going in circles on the support ticket and every time they want to look at the machine with Team Viewer, I end up waiting forever and it never happens. 

Support

Did you by chance drag and drop the TG icon to your dock at any point ? Can you remove it from our dock completely if so and retest ?

Regards

user6011024

Did you by chance drag and drop the TG icon to your dock at any point ? Can you remove it from our dock completely if so and retest ?

Regards

No. Never. Once I fully quit the app, it's not in the Dock.

ArnonymoesVPN

macOS High Sierra fresh install on a newly purchased iMac 2017 model, and recently signed up on TorGuard and since you mention this is fixed now a month or so ago, and it's October now.. that it shouldn't be there: it is though. 

Support

macOS High Sierra fresh install on a newly purchased iMac 2017 model, and recently signed up on TorGuard and since you mention this is fixed now a month or so ago, and it's October now.. that it shouldn't be there: it is though. 

Could i send you a test build for testing this, please?

I'm unable to reproduce and none of our staff is either.

Regards