TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
BATMAN

Cannot Host MW3 Multiplayer Lobby On PS3 Behind VPN, Help.

Rate this topic

BATMAN

Long story short, I enabled my PS3 to be behind the VPN by connecting my laptop (which is where Torguard client is installed) to the router via Ethernet. I connected my PS3 to my laptop via an USB to Ethernet adapter then enabled sharing on my laptop's network connection from TAP-Windows Adapter V9  to  Ethernet.

I was able to sign on to the Playstation network and play Call of Duty MW3 multiplayer games. I can join lobbies and play normally. But when I try to host a lobby, no one is able to join into my lobby and I am just in there by myself for the whole duration of the game. This only happens when I try to host a lobby.

I tried to run on a dedicated IP to see if it would resolve the issue but I still get the same problem. I submitted a ticket for support and was suggested to use a VPN router but I cannot go that route because I'm running on a Verizon Fios provided router. I noticed that whenever I connect the PS3 to the VPN, the PS3's IP address would change everytime. I would try to change it back to the original IP address that my router assigned it but then I would not be able to go online because it can't establish an internet connection.

If anyone can help or has any ideas on how to resolve this issue then it would be greatly appreciated.

TorGuard

Are people able to join your hosted games while not connected to the VPN?

BATMAN

Are people able to join your hosted games while not connected to the VPN?

Yes. Everyone can join my hosted games when VPN is off and I'm just connected with my regular ISP provided IP. They also join really fast.

I've noticed today that a few people (4 at most) were able to join my hosted games when I was behind the VPN. Normally the lobby can have 18 players. But it would vary throughout the day, sometimes 1 or 2 would join and sometimes none at all. Here's the thing, they don't join right away but most of the time I would be in the lobby for 3-4 minutes before someone joins.

I'm not sure if it's my internet speed that is preventing people from joining. But, I've ran the internet speed test whenever I'm playing the game on the VPN and most of the time it ranges in the 30+Mpbs Down and 40+Mpbs UP sometimes even higher but never below 30Mpbs.

TorGuard

Try forwarding the MW3 ports from the TorGuard dashboard:

pkI2XUK.png

EDIT:

(Source1)

TCP: 3074, 5223

UDP: 3074, 3075, 3478, 3479

(Source2)

UDP: 3074-3075, 3478-3479, 3658

Edited by TorGuard

BATMAN

Try forwarding the MW3 ports from the TorGuard dashboard:

pkI2XUK.png

EDIT:

(Source1)

UDP: 3074, 3075, 3478, 3479

(Source2)

UDP: 3074-3075, 3478-3479, 3658

I tried to open all those ports on the Dashboard but still no luck getting traffic. Packets and Usage are at 0/0KB for all 7 ports opened while the game is running.

TorGuard

I tried to open all those ports on the Dashboard but still no luck getting traffic. Packets and Usage are at 0/0KB for all 7 ports opened while the game is running.

Just for the record, could you answer the following questions so I and others can better assist you:

• What VPN Server location, cipher, port are you using?
  • Have you pinned the server IP so it is static?
  • Have you ensured the port forwarding settings in the dashboard are exactly the same as the settings you have chosen within the client? Also, have you made sure to re-connect to the server location to make sure the port-forward settings go in effect, before testing?
  • Do you have any third-party security software(firewall e.t.c) installed on your laptop?
  • Is there any specific model number of your router? If so please share.

I would love to help figure out a solution with you, these fine details will help in doing so. Ultimately I think you may have to switch to a VPN router as what support has advised you to do.

BATMAN

Just for the record, could you answer the following questions so I and others can better assist you:

• What VPN Server location, cipher, port are you using?
  • Have you pinned the server IP so it is static?
  • Have you ensured the port forwarding settings in the dashboard are exactly the same as the settings you have chosen within the client? Also, have you made sure to re-connect to the server location to make sure the port-forward settings go in effect, before testing?
  • Do you have any third-party security software(firewall e.t.c) installed on your laptop?
  • Is there any specific model number of your router? If so please share.

I would love to help figure out a solution with you, these fine details will help in doing so. Ultimately I think you may have to switch to a VPN router as what support has advised you to do.

• I am connected to a Dedicated IP with a NEW YORK server under UDP and AES-128-CBC SHA256.
  • I cannot see a Pin Server option when I am on the Dedicated IP, although I am able to pin servers when using Shared IP.
  • When you asked about the settings I have chosen within the client, I am unsure which client you are referring to?
  • I am currently running a a free version of Panda Antivirus.
  • My main router is a Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 router. Although, my laptop is wired via ethernet to an access point TP-Link Archer C7 router.

Your help is very much appreciated!

TorGuard

• When you asked about the settings I have chosen within the client, I am unsure which client you are referring to?

Just meant if you entered your Dedicated IP and used the exact same protocol/cipher into the Port Forward dashboard as you use in the TorGuard VPN Client.

If you have a TP-Link Archer C7, you can setup TorGuard VPN directly on the router, and then hook your PS3 up to that without running it through your laptop. 

The Phantom menu and Force Host tools that you are using seem to be the root of your problems, without these tools running, does hosting MW3 games through VPN work fine? I read the other thread you've created on external forum.

BATMAN

​

​

​

​

​

Just meant if you entered your Dedicated IP and used the exact same protocol/cipher into the Port Forward dashboard as you use in the TorGuard VPN Client.

If you have a TP-Link Archer C7, you can setup TorGuard VPN directly on the router, and then hook your PS3 up to that without running it through your laptop. 

The Phantom menu and Force Host tools that you are using seem to be the root of your problems, without these tools running, does hosting MW3 games through VPN work fine? I read the other thread you've created on external forum.

Sorry for the delayed response. I did the port forwarding in the dashboard correctly as instructed. The thing with hosting public games on MW3 is that it's hard to know when you are host because it randomly select certain players to host. And, you cannot host a public match on desire without a modding tool to force the game server to let you become host. With that being said, I turned off the force host tools and played regularly and not once did the game made me host.

​

​I've noticed that every time I connect the PS3 to the VPN that it would change the PS3's internal static IP address that was generated by my router. So instead of it always being 192.168.1.185 it would change to 192.168.137.X, where X would change on every reboot of the system. I would then notice on my router that it would say the PS3 is inactive instead of being active. I tried to change it back to the static IP of 192.168.1.185 on the PS3's network settings but then it couldn't find a internet connection after doing so.

​

​I tried to port forwarding the PS3's port # on my router to the PS3's ever changing IP when it is connected to VPN and I've tried to port forward the PS3's port # to the dedicated IP of the VPN on my router and nothing made a difference. Although, I'm not familiar with port forwarding so I could've done it all wrong to begin with.

​

​As for setting up VPN on my router, how can that help my issue?

​

​Also, if I set up VPN on my router is there a way to limit which users/devices connected to my network to use VPN? Because I don't want everyone using it and slowing the network speed down.

​

​Once again, thank  you for sticking around and helping me.

TorGuard

​I've noticed that every time I connect the PS3 to the VPN that it would change the PS3's internal static IP address that was generated by my router. So instead of it always being 192.168.1.185 it would change to 192.168.137.X, where X would change on every reboot of the system. I would then notice on my router that it would say the PS3 is inactive instead of being active. I tried to change it back to the static IP of 192.168.1.185 on the PS3's network settings but then it couldn't find a internet connection after doing so.

​

​I tried to port forwarding the PS3's port # on my router to the PS3's ever changing IP when it is connected to VPN and I've tried to port forward the PS3's port # to the dedicated IP of the VPN on my router and nothing made a difference. Although, I'm not familiar with port forwarding so I could've done it all wrong to begin with.

​

​As for setting up VPN on my router, how can that help my issue?

​

​Also, if I set up VPN on my router is there a way to limit which users/devices connected to my network to use VPN? Because I don't want everyone using it and slowing the network speed down.

​

​Once again, thank  you for sticking around and helping me.

You can try the following guides for setting a static IP on your PS3:

If you are connecting through TorGuard VPN, you only need to port forward through the TorGuard dashboard. It is not needed to forward ports on your router while behind a VPN tunnel.

If you remove the laptop out of the equation, it can help expose where problems are, maybe it's software or a firewall on the laptop that is preventing incoming connections (aka being able to host and allow people to connect).

It depends on your router and it's firmware if it possesses the functionality of limiting/routing specific clients/devices through the VPN.

You're welcome! I hope that you find a solution to your problem, unfortunately I do not have any more suggestions at the current time.

• Like 1

BATMAN

​

​

You can try the following guides for setting a static IP on your PS3:

If you are connecting through TorGuard VPN, you only need to port forward through the TorGuard dashboard. It is not needed to forward ports on your router while behind a VPN tunnel.

If you remove the laptop out of the equation, it can help expose where problems are, maybe it's software or a firewall on the laptop that is preventing incoming connections (aka being able to host and allow people to connect).

It depends on your router and it's firmware if it possesses the functionality of limiting/routing specific clients/devices through the VPN.

You're welcome! I hope that you find a solution to your problem, unfortunately I do not have any more suggestions at the current time.

I will definitely try what you have suggested. Thank you for all your information!

​

​Rest assure I will find a solution to this, lol. I do not know how long it will take but the next time you hear from me I will have a fix to this problem so that it can help whoever else that will encounter this issue in the future.

​

​Once again you were of great help and it was very much appreciated!