TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
SnowSlug

Any way to stop connectons while TG is not active?

Rate this question

Question

SnowSlug

I'm using the TG app from the Play store on my Android phone, and in general it works well.

The issue I have with it is that since mobile connectivity is toggled on and off so frequently, and TG takes 30-60 seconds to establish a connection each time, there's a LOT of time where apps, the OS and anything else can connect directly to my mobile provider or to WiFi, bypassing TG.

Is there any way to prevent internet connections while TG is connecting?

12 answers to this question

Support

Hello - i will certainly put this across to our Android devs and see what we can do.

Does all connections take this long to connect for you ?

Regards

SnowSlug

Yes, all connections take this long. By the way, this is on par with TG connections on the desktop, using Viscosity -- 30-60 seconds is the norm, unfortunately, and during that time everything leaks.

Support

Have you tried outside your network to see if connections times are still the same ? i don't have this issue on both android and on any OS i have tested on.

Regards

omar

i need the same functionality

i toggle airplane on and off, X times a day

i don't want stuff leaking

we need real reliable way of forcing all the traffic to go through VPN within the android

that would be much appreciated 

Annonymous

I am using the open vpn app and there is a section to prevent app leaks all u gotta do is to add them to the list. app is very good but just a pain to setup at first as the guide here on TG website is outdated and app UI has changed since the guide was made.

But i would go for open vpn if i where u!!!

omar

u got the guide maybe that you can share with us?

Annonymous

u got the guide maybe that you can share with us?

Guide for what ?

OpenVPN ?

Support

Hey there - are you referring to the TG Android app  ?

Regards

userOfTG

To rectify this issue, I use the OpenVPN Connect app and have Seemless Tunnel checked and Connection Timeout set to "Never" in the preferences. Then I can just import one of TorGuard's iOS/Android ovpn files and be on my way.

Another approach (if the above doesn't work on your version of Android) is to ping one of TorGuard's hostnames to get an server IP and use it to set up L2DP manually in Android's native VPN settings. Enter a DNS IP, available in the client area on TorGuard's website. Then set Always-on from the overflow menu in the top right. 

I hope TorGuard Lite (both PC and Android versions) gets the Seemless Tunneling feature in the near future so there aren't any leaks when the internet connection drops.

Support

To rectify this issue, I use the OpenVPN Connect app and have Seemless Tunnel checked and Connection Timeout set to "Never" in the preferences. Then I can just import one of TorGuard's iOS/Android ovpn files and be on my way.

Another approach (if the above doesn't work on your version of Android) is to ping one of TorGuard's hostnames to get an server IP and use it to set up L2DP manually in Android's native VPN settings. Enter a DNS IP, available in the client area on TorGuard's website. Then set Always-on from the overflow menu in the top right. 

I hope TorGuard Lite (both PC and Android versions) gets the Seemless Tunneling feature in the near future so there aren't any leaks when the internet connection drops.

This is coming yes, the seamless option is in development :)

Thanks

• Like 1

userOfTG

This is coming yes, the seamless option is in development :)

Thanks

That's great! In the meantime, will the iOS/Android OpenVPN profiles be updated to use AES-256 instead of Blowfish?

Support

That's great! In the meantime, will the iOS/Android OpenVPN profiles be updated to use AES-256 instead of Blowfish?

They have been updated to work with latest openvpn options but not ciphers, really you just need to edit the file change the port and add the cipher (according to our specs page) and then import into your openvpn connect app.

Regards

• Like 1