TorGuard

Rate this topic

How to configure uTorrent on Windows

Various optimizations and security tweaks.

Step 1: Open uTorrent settings

• Click Options from the main menu bar

143TEGv.png

• Press and hold Shift+F2 while clicking Preferences (Shift+F2 enables hidden settings, needed for later steps)

CNiphjh.png

Step 2: Configure Connection

• Select Connection from the left pane

CloOZIT.png

• Set proxy Type to SOCKS5
  • Set proxy Port to 1080 (Alternatively: 1085, 1090)
  • Check: Authentication
  • Enter your login details
  • Check: Use proxy for hostname lookups
  • Check: Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections
  • Check: Disable all local DNS lookups
  • Check: Disable features that leak identifying information
  • Check: Disable connections unsupported by the proxy

Qo5wr3c.png

Step 3: Configure Bittorrent

• Select Bittorrent from the left pane

5J23KWR.png

• unCheck: Enable DHT Network
  • unCheck: Enable DHT for new torrents
  • unCheck: Local Peer Discovery
  • unCheck: Allow incoming legacy connections (If enabled, unencrypted connections will be allowed)
  • Protocol Encryption: Forced
  • IP/Hostname to report to tracker: 1.3.3.7 (Or anything else, can be random word or number)

Ldd1vif.png

Step 4: Bind to VPN IP (optional, requires VPN)

• Find your Local VPN IP Address from the TorGuard VPN client.
  • Select Advanced from the left pane

FjMCMff.png

• Search for "net.bind_ip" & "net_outgoing_ip", set the values to match your Local VPN IP Address.

Note that you will have to change the these settings often as your Local VPN IP never stays the same.

Step 5: Disable advertisements

• Select Advanced from the left pane

FjMCMff.png

• Search and disable the following settings (some settings will reset when client is restarted):

offers.content_offer_autoexec
    offers.backup_sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled
    offers.backup_left_rail_offer_enabled
    offers.upgrade_panel
    offers.upgrade_toolbar
    offers.cookies.customized_ads
    offers.left_rail_offer_enabled
    offers.adresource_enabled
    offers.superad_adson
    sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled
    gui.show_gate_delete
    gui.show_gate_explaination
    gui.show_gate_notify
    gui.show_plus_av_upsell
    gui.show_plus_conv_upsell
    gui.show_plus_upsell_nodes

xuBwXlC.png

• Block utorrentie.exe in your Firewall. Found here: uTorrent\updates\3.x.x_xxxxx\utorrentie.exe — this will effectively stop advertisements from connecting.

Step 6: Block uTorrent from Windows host file (optional)

• From windows explorer, navigate to: %windir%/system32/drivers/etc
  • Open your favorite text editor as administrator — open the hosts file and paste the following contents inside, then save.
    # uTorrent block
    0.0.0.0 utclient.utorrent.com
    0.0.0.0 router.utorrent.com
    0.0.0.0 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com
    0.0.0.0 router.bittorrent.com
    0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com
    # -----------------------

Step 7: Testing for leaks

Edited by TorGuard

Is this necessary if you are using vpn software

Hello Bolt2014Dead, welcome to the forums!

The options under step 2 are rather important to configure, you can skip the proxy setup part if you only have VPN. There are two more settings that you can disable, under "Connection" that is related to router port-fowarding (unneeded and can pose a potential security risk):

• Enable UPnP port mapping
  • Enable NAT-PMP port mapping

Im using VPN and i also wanted to know if this can work to "Privatize" my Bittorrent received a nice email from my ISP and we all know what that email is but i wanted to know setting up my Bit with a proxy work alongside my VPN connection to make it more secure?

Im using VPN and i also wanted to know if this can work to "Privatize" my Bittorrent received a nice email from my ISP and we all know what that email is but i wanted to know setting up my Bit with a proxy work alongside my VPN connection to make it more secure?

Hello TheBurnedMan95 — Great question!

If you only want to protect your torrent traffic, using just a proxy is good enough. You will achieve higher transfer speeds than a VPN, or both VPN + Proxy; due to proxy offering lower level of encryption. However, if you don't mind having slightly lower speeds, it will make you more secure if you were to use TorGuards VPN + Proxy service together. The added benefit of using TorGuard's VPN client is that it offers advanced leak protection and it will encrypt all your programs traffic.

Also, using TorGuard's VPN alone will be good enough to privatize your traffic; though if you lose connection to the VPN, your real IP can be leaked if you lose connection for some reason, so it is vital that you implement a firewall killswitch, otherwise you will be exposed. There is a way you can bind uTorrent to an IP which will essentially act as a killswitch, under the advanced settings there is a "net.bind_ip" & "net_outgoing_ip", you set it to match your internal VPN IP that you get assigned from the TorGuard client, this should ultimately make uTorrent leak proof whilst using VPN. There is also a built in killswitch inside of the TorGuard client that disables your internet interface upon disconnection, however a firewall is best since it can close connections instantly.

I really recommend people switch to qBitTorrent.

uTorrent has been doing shady shit the past year and trackers are outright blacklisting it now.

The only thing we have found with qBitTorrent - if the proxy fails, rather than stop all activity until its either removed or replaced  (such as what Vuze or uTorrent do) it fails back onto your ISP - i have not tested the latest release but i may give it a whirl and check it out.

Regards

On 1/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, Support said:

The only thing we have found with qBitTorrent - if the proxy fails, rather than stop all activity until its either removed or replaced

Do you know if this is still true with the latest version of qBitTorrent?

I dropped a while ago Vuze because it was known to leak information but now uTorrent doesn't connect to any http or udp tracker through the Socks proxy, basically dead...

Is Vuze a viable alternative with Socks proxy now?

On 10/03/2018 at 9:06 AM, MisterBean said:

Do you know if this is still true with the latest version of qBitTorrent?

I dropped a while ago Vuze because it was known to leak information but now uTorrent doesn't connect to any http or udp tracker through the Socks proxy, basically dead...

Is Vuze a viable alternative with Socks proxy now?

I can't say for sure on later builds, i would need to test those but i can say for sure with Vuze and uTorrent configured correctly your fine.

Regards

Hi - I have Windows Server 2016 and am running uTorrent as a service - that way it is always running on my server and all I have to do is drop a torrent file into a specific folder that it monitors.  This works fine without VPN proxy, but when I add the proxy it doesn't work (and server doesn't like it when I run the Torguard VPN client on it).  I have to log in to the server with my admin user - my assumption here is the proxy doesn't login by itself for some reason.  Has anybody figured out how to resolve this?  Thinking of trying qbitorrent to see if that works any better.